Environmental and Social Data
The Key ESG Performance Data
This section covers important areas where we are strengthening our ESG efforts and explains data the NYK Group is particularly focused on in each category.
Trends in Downtime
The amount of time that operation of our vessels stops due to accidents or other trouble (downtime) is used as an indicator to gauge the degree of safe operations.All onshore and offshore employees work together toward the target of eliminating downtime.
Number of SIMS-equipped Vessels andNumber of Anomaly Incidents
SIMS data for vessel machinery is analyzed to improve our ability to quickly detect signs of a potential ship mechanical accident, electrical leakage, fire, or other trouble.
CO2, NOx, SOx Emissions
GHG emission volumes are monitored and measures taken to reduce emissions by vessel type.
Environmental Protection Cost
The NYK Group seeks to recognize the costs associated with its efforts to protect the environment. Group efforts to prevent global warming and air pollution include equipping its ships with environmental technology, such as electronically controlled engines.
The NYK Group actively develops technology to improve safety and protect the environment and is currently researching cutting-edge technologies in ship-toshore cyber security and autonomous shiphandling systems.
Number of Patents
We are developing cutting-edge safety and environmental protection technology, including optimal efficiency operation utilizing big data such as the navigation/machinery information of fleets in operation (IBIS-TWO) and the MT-FAST energy-saving hull device that greatly improves fuel efficiency.
- *Numbers of patents indicate the current number at the end of each fiscal year
Number of NYK Maritime College Seafarers Participants (By nationality)
The NYK Maritime College is a system that provides a globally uniform training program regardless of the nationality and training location of seafarers to effectively improve the skills of our seafarers.
Number of NYK Business College Participants(Including group employees)
The NYK Business College training system has over 60 training programs to enhance the overall abilities of group employees.
Ratio of NYK Group Employees by Region (consolidated)
More than 70% of the Group's approximately 37,000 employees work overseas.
Percentage of Seafarers by Nationality*1
- *1Percentage of seafarers at NYK Shipmanagement Pte. Ltd.(officers and crew members)
- *2China, Vietnam, Russia, Myanmar, Nigeria, Angola, Panama, Singapore
Number of Women in Management (Including group companies)
The number of women in management positions at the NYK Group has been steadily rising since 1983 when the Company began actively encouraging women's advancement in the workplace
Trends in Monthly Overtime Exceeding Legal Working Hours
- *Employees working at the NYK headquarters
To manage the progress of the OLIVE project for workstyle reforms, we monitor and internally share data on the trends in monthly overtime exceeding legal working hours.
Number of Participants in Compliance, Antitrust Law, and Prevention of Bribery Training
- *The number of participants for compliance training indicates only those at the headquarters
- *The number of times that antitrust law training was conducted in fiscal 2015 decreased because the trainers for overseas group companies (in the Asia region) were switched from NYK legal staff to locally employed lawyers in fiscal 2016, and fiscal 2015 was used to prepare for that transition
- *Training for the prevention of bribery was started from fiscal 2015
Expertise and Experience of Directors (As of June 19, 2019)
- More information: